birding-aus

RFI Broome and NW WA area

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RFI Broome and NW WA area
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:54:36 +0900
Dee

The wet season will be pretty much in full swing at the end of Feb and driving
anywhere off sealed roads can be hazardous. You can find out which roads are
open in the area and in particular whether the Gibb River Road is open by
checking out Main Roads
http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR/mrwa/internet/realtime/TRC/RegionalConditions.asp?1
 I think it would be extremely unlikely you would get through to Mornington.
You would have to phone them. I live 300km along the Gibb River Road and while
it is still open to Mt Barnett the road is marginal and we had to pull a 4WD
out of a muddy patch yesterday where it got bogged. The Barnett River is
flooded and cannot be forded at the moment. Having said that I did see some
Gouldian Finches last week about 150km along the GRR from Derby. If you drive
to Derby you should try to reach the Munkayarra wetlands but the road in may be
too muddy. The Wetlands entrance is right at the sign saying 20km to Derby.
Drive through the open gate and turn right. The Derby wetlands and water
treatment plant area have all the usual wetland birds including snipe at this
time of the year but it too is along a dirt road. The BBO people will tell you
all the best places to see birds around Broome and you should check out Frank
O'Connor's website.

Don Hadden
PMB 922
Derby