birding-aus

Re: help required to identify races of SootyOystercatcher

To: "Robert Inglis" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: help required to identify races of SootyOystercatcher
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:12:47 +1000
Bob,
I would reserve my criticism for those with 'slightly reasonable expectations.'

I am not a taxonomist and know little about avian taxonomy but let me illustrate my point with a botanical example. Callistemon and Melaleuca meet at C. viminalis/ M.viminalis yet most of the plants in either genus would not be mistaken for a member of the other.
Taxonomy is a Procrustean Bed!
Regards,
Alan
PS With the inclement weather I'll probably be forced into joining you in the self harm. Who'd want to go looking at arboreal mammals in the rain?