birding-aus

The Morpork in Heraldry

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: The Morpork in Heraldry
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:27:26 +1100
Dear All,

While trying to unravel the mystery of Ninox novaehollandiae, I have come across an interesting piece of trivia, which might be useful for anyone who sets Trivia Night questions. In the Disc World series of books by Terry Pratchett, the pricipal city is Ankh-Morpork. The coat of arms of Ankh-Morpork is crested with a Morpork holding an ankh. I have not been able to trace the range of the Australasian Morpork Ninox novaeseelandiae as far as Disc World. The heraldic Morpork must be a previously un-described species, for which I nominate the the Taxonomic name Ninox mundus-orbis.

If anyone would like to see the Ankh-Morporkian Coat of Arms, it can be found at :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh-Morpork

Cheers,

Carl Clifford