birding-aus

Definite Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph, Altona, Vic

To: "Ruth Woodrow" <>, <>
Subject: Definite Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph, Altona, Vic
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:21:44 +1100
I have seen Baillon's Crakes perching in reeds at Woolooware Swamp, Sydney, NSW many years back.

Are we going to get to see a picture of this Lewin's Rail? I have a particular interest in the species as I made some casual studies (which I hope to eventually have published) on the species at Dharug National Park, near Wisemans Ferry NSW, in the early to mid 1980s.

I had a 'phone call from Arnold McGill who wanted to visit and to show Brigadier Officer the Lewin's Rail as it was one of the few species that he hadn't seen in his long life. The birds were calling well in the morning, Arnold and the Brigadier arrived just as a massive thunderstorm struck. We listened and listened and no rails were calling. After some time our visitors had to depart and shortly after they did the sun came out and the Lewin's Rail started calling incessantly. I don't think the Brigadier ever managed to see, or even hear, one.

Greg Clancy