birding-aus

Banded Peregrine Falcon

To: <>
Subject: Banded Peregrine Falcon
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:08:09 +1100
Don Ripper wrote:

Sad that the collision could not be avoided for these fellows are still
struggling to recover their numbers in many areas of this State at least.

Hi Don,

   Thanks for your reply.  I have recorded all the details and will get a
GPS reading at the site tomorrow then forward all the relevant information
to the ABBBS.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's sad, they are a beautiful bird, as
you say, struggling in this state. But, unfortunately, the collision was
completely unavoidable, as the bird flew headlong into the car. Ian didn't
see the bird coming and it was fortunate for Ian that it didn't hit the
windscreen as it possibly would have gone straight through.  Our car is a
dark grey colour, it was just on dusk, and presumably the bird was
pre-occupied with catching something and didn't see the car.  I'm sure a
Peregrine has more chance of avoiding a collision than a driver of a car.
The impact, considering it was an open highway and the bird could possibly
be flying in excess of 200k's, would have been horrendous.
I will post a report on b-aus once I find out more details.
Cheers all and have a great Australia Day.
Marlene.