birding-aus

Common Myna travelling routes

To: "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: Common Myna travelling routes
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:17:10 +1100
I've been doing woodland bird surveys within the road reserves along the
Hume Highway between Tarcutta and Albury in NSW over the last 6 months. It's
amazing how much garbage one finds dumped on the side of the road, including
food scraps and their wrapping. I can only conclude that such material is
thrown out of car windows as motorists are travelling along the highway.
Garbage bins at rest spots along the highway also contain food waste and
occasionally, some of these bins are over-flowing with garbage.

Fortunately, I haven't seen too many Common Mynahs along this section of the
Highway (probably because of the large numbers of Noisy Miners), but there
would be plenty of food scraps that could entice them to move along the road
corridors.

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW