birding-aus

The opinions of Plains-wanderers

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: The opinions of Plains-wanderers
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:32:24 +1100
This has always interested me steve. The coastal vrs Inland "adaption" can
be seen in a number of  different families of bird in Australia.

The coastal Southern Emu-wren has its inland 'adaptions' of Mallee
Emu-wren and Rufous Crowned.

Ground Parrot has its inland Night Parrot.

Coastal Kingfishers have Red-back Kingfisher and Sacred (to a lesser
degree).

The list goes on...

The coastal and inland environments seem to provide very similar habitats
to each other in Australia.  I know that here in Southern Victoria, you
often get what you'd normally consider to be inland species appearing in
coastal environments...like Black-eared Cuckoo, and Spiny-cheeked
Honeyater.

Western Australia is probably the best study of this phenomena where a lot
of bird species that the rest of the country would consider inland
species, have populations on the coast.

I think using water as a basis of classification might be a bit of a
furphy.

The terms Shorebirds and Waders all  have reference to water, but birds
like Little Curlew, Ibis species, as well as the other 3 species
previously mentions(dotterel, lapwing and plains wanderer), all can be
found 100's of kilometres from water.  Perhaps a more common element is
wide expanse's or sparse vegetation. We could call them Plainbirds, but
i'm sure they wouldn't appreciate being called plain ; )

"Stephen Ambrose" <>
Sent by:
17/01/2008 01:34 PM

"'Robert Inglis'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'"
<>
cc

Subject
RE: [Birding-Aus] The opinions of Plains-wanderers

This discussion makes me wonder if some shorebird species of inland
Australia that aren't normally associated with present-day wetlands (e.g.
Plains Wanderer, Inland Dotterel, Banded Lapwing) once inhabited inland
wetlands of earlier geological times. As the Australian climate became
drier, perhaps many inland wetlands permanently dried up and a few species
of shorebirds adapted to living in semi-arid and arid shrublands where the
wetlands once occurred.

I've always wondered about this with respect to Australia's kingfisher
species. Did some of these species once forage and nest along prehistoric
river banks whose rivers disappeared as the continent dried out, but now
live at least part of the year in semi-arid woodlands and shrublands?

Regards,

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose

Director