birding-aus

Little Curlew & aggregation of Banded Lapwings nearWerribee, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Little Curlew & aggregation of Banded Lapwings nearWerribee, Victoria
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:22:40 +1100
Firstly, my thanks to Mike for posting this sighting on both Birding-aus and
Birdline Victoria early this morning, enabling other local birders to get
down and see it during Sunday. I have been advised by John Barkla that he
and Fred Smith (whom we came across eating their lunch while relaxing in
their camp chairs at Walsh's Lagoon at the WTP!) saw the bird at the
reported site sometime during the afternoon, and that 3 other cars pulled up
while they were there and all concerned also saw it. Quite a satisfying
outcome, and a great demonstration of the combined power of interested
birders, mobile phones and the Internet.
Secondly, and for the record, the bird was first seen and identified by
visiting birder and tennis fan Dave Werner from Carmel in California who,
with his wife Caroline, was sharing a birding day out with Diana and me.
Good sighting and good identifying! (We had stopped to check out the Banded
Lapwings, which have been at this site in numbers for some months now).
Richard

Richard NOWOTNY
Port Melbourne, Victoria
M: 0438 224 456