birding-aus

White Ibis studies in Sydney Region

To: peter crow <>
Subject: White Ibis studies in Sydney Region
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:18:15 +1100
People are the cause of the problem I agree, and some measures have been
undertaken in the
Gold Coast City refuse tips to limit the amount of food avaibale and to trial
techniques to
discourage the ibis from landing at the tips to feed. But the program of nest
and egg removal has
ind is still very successful in contolling and reduncing the number of ibis on
the Gold Coast. The
Ibis were roosting in such large numbers that they are/were destroying the
vegetation associated
with their roosts. No hatched chicks or adults are directly harmed in the
program, and in
combination with measures undertaken at refuse tips it could be considered to
very successful in
reducing numbers of Ibis. Food is so readily avaibale that they are breeding
twice in one season on
te Gold Coast Region, and this program was conisdered an alterative to actually
undertaking a cull
as is approved by the EPA etc.

It should be noted i have not been invloved in this program for anumber of
years and only
rpoviding information from when i was involved for 2 years undertaking ibis
surveys ats refuse tips
on behalf of the GCCC for the consultancy running the program.

Regards, Simon Muirhead