birding-aus

Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year - "song-rings"

To: <>
Subject: Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year - "song-rings"
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:24:10 +1100
Hello Birders!
I recently went to the above exhibition at the Australian Museum in Sydney - I
usually try to get there every year - and was blown away as usual by the beauty
of nature, thanks to all the photographers. It's such a lovely way to start off
the year! It's on till 16th March.

There are some great bird shots, but the one that caught my eye was Gastone
Pivatelli's "Song of the corn bunting" which was a photo of a corn bunting
singing it's little heart out at dawn, and he managed to catch what he calls
"song-rings". As the bird sang in the cold, it's breath was formed into rings
of condensed air - song made visible? Is this a term he has made up or is this
a phenomenon which is well-known and understood (and has it been photographed
before)? I'd welcome anyone's thoughts/comments about these song rings. I
understand that different human speech sounds create different forms in the
air, and this has been made visible by photographing a person speaking whilst
exhaling cigarette smoke (lovely, I know!!). So it would follow that each bird
would make different patterns? I'm fascinated by this as you can tell!

Here's the link to the photo:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy/photo.do?photo=2280&category=2&group=1

As an aside, I was very impressed by their kid's corner right next to the
exhibition - so many things for young uns to do - and discover/explore. We were
able to take turns looking at the exhibition while the other kept our toddler
amused and happy. They also have a great shop!
cheers,
Arwen
Lawson, Blue Mountains,
Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org