birding-aus

Sparrowhawks and laziness

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sparrowhawks and laziness
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:30:02 +1100
I kicked off the New Year yesterday with my first birding in maybe a 6
months I think. The last twitch I went on was Phillip Veerman's Clown
Face honeyeater in Canberra. Yes, this does mean I'm injured again and
climbing has to take a back seat.

So I went for a quick walk around my local patch (Lapstone, NSW, along
the Nepean river) and found nothing more interesting than a Red-browed
Finch. The Bell Miners have picked up quite a lot down near the river,
tree martins are around and the Blackbirds from our neighbour's
conifer have moved into the bush.

Once home and comfortably on the couch, came the best birding for the
day. The Noisy Miners made it clear there was something about they
weren't happy about so I had a look. I didn't get a great look at the
plumage, but luckily Dick Turner also heard the calls and came to
investigate. Based on size and flight pattern (jerky and 'hoppy' as
described by the eminent Debus) a male Collared Sparrowhawk. A new one
for my house and a cracking bird to boot. Not a bad start to the year,
but hardly positive reinforcement for getting out birding. All the
best birds seem to come to our house...

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW