birding-aus

New Year birds and Abberton website update

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: New Year birds and Abberton website update
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:22:22 +1000
A good birding start to the new year here.

The first bird I saw from the window next to my desk on New Year’s Day was a
Southern Boobook roosting in a tree right against the house. The second was
another Southern Boobook just above the first. They spent the whole day there.

The Black Bittern has been dropping by every day, but to no discernable
schedule. Azure Kingfishers have come back with the re-appearance of the creek.

Five cuckoo spp in the garden in the first couple of days of the year; Pallid,
Shining-bronze, Channel-billed, Koel and Pheasant Coucal. 63 spp on the garden
list thus far for 2008, but, unusually, only one raptor – Brown Goshawk.

It’s been very windy here, but it’s a consequence of the lows off the
Queensland coast, and they are the ones that bring rain – so no complaints.

I’ve put about 50 new pics on the Abberton website today, including our bold
Bush-hen and the Black Bittern. All at http://www.abberton.org/birds2007.htm

Bill Jolly

'Abberton',
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27º 34' 21' S; 152º 08' 21' E)

Visit our website at www.abberton.org

It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org