birding-aus

Sanderling in breeding plumage at Boat Harbour, Kurnell

To: birdingaus aus <>
Subject: Sanderling in breeding plumage at Boat Harbour, Kurnell
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:28:07 +1100
G'day bird lovers

This afternoon at Boat Harbour, near Kurnell, I observed a Sanderling in what must almost full breeding plumage. It was in the company of another Sanderling in winter plumage. A very interesting and unexpected sight on a rocky headland in Sydney.

You can observe some images at http://www.redtail.net.au/sanderling, or contact me.

The sight is labouring under a good deal of disturbance at present, so I'd advise you to get out there quickly if you want to see this rare and beautiful bird. I'd advise going at high tide as the birds are mostly foraging on the offshore reef at present due to the higher low tides which we are currently experiencing.

I'm not receiving emails from the list at present but am happy to field any questions or comments.

Happy birding

Ricki Coughlan
Avalon, Sydney

p: 02 9918 6590