birding-aus

Yellowlegs update plus Jaeger query

To: Birding-Aus aus <>
Subject: Yellowlegs update plus Jaeger query
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:59:55 +1100
I know it's a bit late but just wanted to report that the Yellowlegs was still present on Sunday 30th December at Jerseyville NSW. Ken had the bird in the scope when we arrived which was a nice change from our last attempt which was fruitless! Managed some reasonably close photos but unfortunately the heat haze meant they aren't the best. Even at 8:30am it was pretty hot/humid and as soon as the sun came out from behind the early clouds it was scorching. Great bird to see though. Good to see it next to Marsh Sandpipers and Sharpies for clear comparison.
I have posted some shots on my website:

http://www.pbase.com/davidstowe/lesser_yellowlegs

We were staying with relatives in Tea Gardens (north side of Port Stephens 2 hours north of Sydney) and spent a while on Sunday afternoon watching Jaegers and Terns from Bennett's Beach (main surf beach). There were at least 4 or 5 of them harassing Crested Terns within a couple of hundred metres of the shore. 2 had white striking markings - black cap, white underside and a dark collar while another couple seemed to be juveniles with a fairly even brown colour. They did have white on the base of the primaries on the upperwing and some slightly paler areas of brown underneath. They did seem quite aerobatic when harassing the terns but also flew steadily and swiftly parallel to the beach not far above the water. Would these descriptions be enough to call them Arctic or could they just as easily be Pomarine Jaegers??
(This is the second time from 2 visits that i have seen Jaegers here).

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Dave