birding-aus

Article re Sth Giant Petrel

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Article re Sth Giant Petrel
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:25:26 +1100
An interesting article re a live washed up Sth Giant Petrel on a beach in NSW can be found on:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22991637-5006009,00.html

The juvenile carried a leg band, showing it was banded in Buenos Aires in Argentina. It is being cared for by Taronga Zoo.

Wish one of these birds would have flown by on one of the Pelagic trips I have been privileged to be on! Guess I will have to do more beach combing.

The endangered animal, which soars above the southern oceans and stops to nest on distant islands, is a rare visitor to the Australian mainland, particularly in summer.
A Happy and safe New Year to all.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn