birding-aus

Bellarine Peninsula Victoria

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, "Michael Ramsey" <>
Subject: Bellarine Peninsula Victoria
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:04:03 +1100
Hi Michael,

The spots Russell mentions are all excellent. A couple of additional
sites are:

* The Barwon River mud flats: an excellent spot to see the larger waders
such as Eastern Curlew, Whimbrel, Godwits etc. The best viewing spot is
near the jetty at Peers Crescent (which is actually in Ocean Grove).
Enter from the main Barwon Heads Ocean Grove Road.

* A quick look into the salt pans at Moolap and Point Henry is
worthwhile (if you are passing / driving that way to Ocean Grove). You
sometimes get extremely large flocks of Banded Stilt. You can see the
pans from the Geelong Port Arlington Road.

* One of my personal favourite spots is Edwards Point at St Leonards.
See http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com/ - it's listed on the left side menu.
The walk along the beach can be fantastic. It takes about 3 hours return
though, but you have a real sense of being in a wilderness (a very hard
thing to do around Port Philip Bay).

* Breamlea, along the river to the head can be good walk (if it's a low
tide). It's proved to be a good spot for Common Sandpiper, but also
Striated Calamanthus and waders at the heads including Hoodies, and
Lesser and Greater Sand Plover. The ephemeral wetland along nearby
Blackgate Rd can sometimes be teaming with waders. (I'm not sure what
the story is with this is at the moment).

- Lake Lorne at Drysdale has lots of duck including Blue-billed and
Freckled Duck.

So, with Russell's and my tips, you have about a weeks birding to do in
one morning! For the record Roy Wheeler once described the Bellarine
Peninsula as the best bird spot in Victoria for birding.

Good luck,

Tim Dolby