birding-aus

Macquarie Island Report

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Macquarie Island Report
From: "Peter Marsh" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:29:48 +1100
Dear Birders,
A large contingent of Aussie birders were on board a recent voyage of the
Spirit of Enderby to Macquarie Island and the New Zealand sub-antarctic islands
run by Heritage Expeditions. The intrepid throng showed good national spirit
and doubled their (already significant) birding efforts as we crossed the
international boundary into Australian waters and only relaxed (relatively) as
we exited those waters.

Despite strong winds most of the way the birding was excellent with almost
everything possible seen (at least my a majority of the group). There was a
very collegiate spirit among the birders and I would like to thank all of them
for their company and sharing of birding knowledge and sightings. The boat had
on the staff 2 experienced birders who also contributed significantly to the
success of the trip (and the food was wonderful!).

Birds seen in Australain waters :-
King Penguin
Gentoo Penguin
Royal Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin
Campbell Albatross
Southern Royal-albatross
Black-browed Albatross
Shy Albatross
Grey-headed Albatross
Light-mantled Sooty-albatross
Northern Giant-petrel
Southern Giant-petrel
Black-bellied Storm-petrel
Grey-backed Storm-petrel
Mottled Petrel
Cape Petrel
White-headed Petrel
Blue Petrel
Kerguelen Petrel
Soft-plumaged Petrel
Common Diving-petrel
Antarctic Prion
Sooty Shearwater
Brown Skua
Kelp Gull
Antarctic Tern
Southern Fulmar (unfortunately not seen by me)
Macquarie Island Shag
Redpoll (there were a lot about but difficult to get close to)
Common Starling

Regards
Peter Marsh