birding-aus

Quails in Altona, Vic

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>
Subject: Quails in Altona, Vic
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 00:13:30 +1100
The consensus was Brown Quail, and tonight I confirmed it, assuming I ran into
the same birds.

I've been passing through there on the way home for the last week, hoping to
spot them again.  Tonight I found them on the open ground below the northern
viewing platform. Some ran into the bushes and one flew up an over them.

Again they surprised me, and I got a bit better look but not much because I
couldn't take my eyes off the large snake that must have been only a foot from
where they'd been.

However, I waited around and heard them calling.  It matched the Brown Quail
call on the BOCA CDs.

Peter Shute