birding-aus

Barred Cuckoo-shrikes near Brisbane

To: BirdingAus <>
Subject: Barred Cuckoo-shrikes near Brisbane
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:07:25 +0000
Hi Everyone,

We went to Gold Creek Reserve, Brookfield near Brisbane early this morning for
a spot of birding with two friends up from Melbourne.  We parked next to the
gates and walked back along the road.  Near the first bridge we had great views
of 2 Barred Cuckoo-shrikes in a low tree next to the road.  Later on, not far
from this spot, Gavin and Richard saw 3 Barred Cuckoo-shrikes (same birds + one
we think), again close to the road.  All birds seen had very pale yellow/white
eyes - much paler than birds seen near Cairns.

Other birds seen/heard within 200 metres of the gate into the reserve were:

Topknot Pigeon - at least 30 birds feeding in a fig tree next to the road
Wompoo Pigeon - great views of 2 birds next to the road
Wonga Pigeon
Emerald Dove
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Peaceful Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Spotted Turtle-dove
Spectacled Monarch - seen next to the road near first bridge (ie bridge closest
to the gates of the reserve)
White-naped Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Scarlet Honeyeater
Figbird
Brush Turkey
Brown Thornbill
Large-billed Scrubwren
White-browed Scrubwren
Rufous Whistler
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Cicadabird
Red-browed Firetail
Spangled Drongo
Olive-backed Oriole
Shining Bronze-cuckoo
Brush Cuckoo
Eastern Whipbird - seen flying quite high up in trees.  One male seen
displaying - fanning tail
Eastern Yellow Robin
Pale-headed Rosella
Torresian Crow
Noisy Miner
Australian Magpie
Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
Scaly-breasted Cockatoo
Pied Butcherbird
Welcome Swallow
Comb-crested Jacana
Dusky Moorhen
Purple Swamphen
Wood Duck
Hardhead
Pacific Black Duck
Little Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Pied Currawong

On previous trips we have also seen Green Catbird, Satin and Regent Bowerbird,
Grey Goshawk, Noisy Pitta, White-eared Monarch, Golden Whistler, White-bellied
Sea-Eagle and Rose Robin.  All in all, a good spot and worth checking out if
you are in the area.

Regards

Judith

Judith Hoyle