birding-aus

The things you see at Lamington SEQ

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The things you see at Lamington SEQ
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:50:25 +1000
We normally return from our visits to Lamington via Duck Ck Rd - a "rough" unsealed route that descends from the Plateau towards Beaudesert. As is often the case, we passed more than a dozen aspiring 4WD drivers travelling up the plateau in convoys yesterday. Of course you don't have to be in a 4WD to traverse the road, as was demonstrated by a "chopped" Honda Accord [probably had less than 10 cm ground clearance] feeling its way at the halfway mark.

The thing that struck me at Green Mts this time was the tameness of many birds - not just the parrots and turkeys round the feeders, but also the birds well into the rainforest. There was an Eastern Whipbird foraging in the open less than two metres from us, a Yellow-throated Scrub-wren that hopped round our feet, a Rufous Fantail that flew past our heads and a King Parrot that almost landed on my head - 2 km from the feeder.

Of greater interest, I got some good photographs of a pale banded snake that we flushed from the edge of the track - most likely a Tiger Snake and the first pale "morph" that I've come across.

Regards, Laurie.