birding-aus

[Fwd: Re: [Birding-Aus] Carnivorous Cassowary]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Birding-Aus] Carnivorous Cassowary]
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:02:50 +1100
Forgot to re-address. Again.
--- Begin Message ---
To: Steve <>
Subject: Carnivorous Cassowary
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:41:10 +1100
Steve wrote:

G'day all

Great photos - HANZAB mentions overwhelmingly fruit but adds land snail, fish, frogs, chooks, Little Tern chicks and eggs(!), rats, mice and carrion. Most is from a single reference - Alexander (1926) in the Emu 25: 245-60. So nothing like this reported for 90 years.

Fascinating.

Cheers
Steve

I'm not surprised. I recall years ago, I saw in the Melbourne "Herald" an article by Graham Pizzey about a young Cassowary, which was being hand-reared at a Queensland wildlife park - maybe by Eric Worrell or David Fleay . The young bird, about half-grown, received a chicken twice a week. A photo showed it tearing at the chicken very enthusiastically. Black-tailed (Swamp) Wallabies will also eat meat if they can get it, and probably eat ground-nesting birds' eggs and young. I recall one at Wilson's Prom, c. 1964, which helped itself to the remains of a chicken roasted over a campfire. It tore the meat off with both hands and then ate from them. It was prepared to stand in the ashes of the fire to do so. Not disturbed by human observers a bit.

Anthea Fleming

--- End Message ---