birding-aus

Mallacoota (VIC) Report 3-6 Nov 07

Subject: Mallacoota (VIC) Report 3-6 Nov 07
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:42:01 +1100
My wife and I enjoyed a pleasant, if wet, Melbourne Cup Day long weekend at
Mallacoota in Victoria's far east.

I was well-prepared, thanks to very helpful tips provided by Birding-Aus
contributors.  However, the constant rain meant that my observations were
largely restricted to those from our unit in Karbeethong or through the car
windscreen.  Despite those restrictions, I managed to note about 60 species
including a couple of new records for me - Scarlet and Yellow-faced
Honeyeaters - and to snap some decent photographs.

The highlight of our trip was a display of high speed flight by a black
falcon.  Our unit was near an interface of forest and cleared pasture and
the falcon seemed to favour bursting from above the forest for dashes
across the pasture.  On most occasions, there didn't seem to be a prey
species in sight but, on a few occasions, the falcon pursued Rainbow
Lorikeets with lots of rapid changes of direction.

It hovered above our balcony once, giving a really clear, close view with
binoculars.  On one occasion, it started its flight from behind the unit
and flew past the balcony at a distance of about ten metres.  The noise
from its express flight was quite loud and not something I have experienced
before.

Not being able to walk through the suggested locations was a bit
disappointing but I can't really complain about the rain.

Thanks to those who took the time to pass on their knowledge of the
Mallacoota area.

Regards

David (Melbourne)