birding-aus

NO Lesser Yellowlegs - Kempsey NSW trip report

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: NO Lesser Yellowlegs - Kempsey NSW trip report
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:52:42 +1100
If all had gone to plan i would have been able to get up to South West Rocks to see the Yellowlegs last weekend but sickness in the house ruled it out unfortunately. So armed with the knowledge that the bird hadn't been seen in a few days, my Dad and i made the journey from Sydney to Kempsey on Sunday morning anyway. We met up with Matt Hinze and later Ken Shingleton and visited all the known haunts with no success. THere had been alot of rain during the week and all the swamps are now full. We couldn't even find any Sharpies or Marsh Sandpipers!
Ken has officially pronounced that the bird has moved on.

Still it was a great afternoon birding with some nice "northern" birds like Jacana and Brahminy Kite, good views of tawny Grassbird and Golden-headed Cisticola, Dollarbird, and generally just a great day. Pulling into our motel in the late afternoon we saw a flock of Scaly- breasted Lorikeets above us which was nice.

To make up for the lack of Yellowlegs and to make the most of the trip north, we met up with Matt again this morning who took us west of Kempsey and out into the rainforest. Highlights were a pair of Black Bittern including 2 chicks on a nest, Logrunner (lifer), Paradise Riflebird (another lifer), southern sub species of Pale Yellow Robin, Noisy Pitta and Russet-tailed Thrush (both heard only), Red-backed Fairy Wren, Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Topknot Pigeon, White-headed Pigeon, Red-browed Treecreeper and more!!

Finished the 36 trip with 115 species (Matt heard alot more than that with his super ears) including 2 lifers and great views of a few birds that i have only seen once or twice.

Many thanks to Ken for his help to everyone with the Yellowlegs, but most importantly to Matt who was a fantastic "guide" and really made it a great trip. We wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere near as much without him.

Cheers
Dave Stowe