birding-aus

Kimberley migrants Oriental Pratincole et al

To: "BirdsWA" <>
Subject: Kimberley migrants Oriental Pratincole et al
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:56:53 +0900
Oriental Pratincole, Wood Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints.
Last week I posted a summary of migrants that had passed through Mt Barnett in
recent months. Mt Barnett is 400km west of Kununurra along the Gibb River Road
in the Kimberley, Western Australia. I anticipated there wouldn't be too many
more sightings but in the last few days a few more species have turned up
either at the little sewage pond or the airstrip. The day after finding the
Orange Chat at the ponds my friend from Gibb River Community came down at 6.30
am to see it. We found it still actively pursuing insects beside the small skim
of water partially covering the overflow pond. We left at 7.00. Two hours later
I went down again and there were 2 Red-necked Stints!! They definitely weren't
there earlier. These are the first stints I have ever seen here. I would have
preferred them to be Long-toed but they had nice black legs.Then yesterday 4
November 4 Wood Sandpipers were there late afternoon but had not been present
in the morning . By this morning they had moved on. I guess unless I check
morning and evening I am going to miss transients. Also this morning the first
Oriental Pratincole of the season was on the airstrip along with at least 4
Oriental Plovers that have been here for a while.

Don Hadden

PMB 922
Derby
WA 6728