birding-aus

The corvids on Rainshadow

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: The corvids on Rainshadow
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:47:44 +0930

L&L Knight wrote:
I've been watching the superbly photographed drama Rainshadow. I haven't heard a lot of bird calls in the sound track [there was a bit of a falling leaf in tonight's episode], but I have enjoyed the placement of the "Shakespearean" crows throughout the visuals. Not being a Croweater, I can't say what manner of corvid they are, though I can tell that they aren't Torresian Crows [my local variety] and they don't look like Aus Ravens either.

Regards, Laurie.

I, too enjoyed tonight's episode.

The outdoor scenes for this series were largely filmed just west of here in Murray Bridge - in the small towns of Callington and Monarto which are about 60km SW of Adelaide. It has been interesting trying to identify scenery, roads, shops and buildings as they appear.

By far the dominant corvid species around here is the Little Raven, though Australian Ravens are recorded from time to time. Those featured tonight seemed to look like Little Ravens BUT on the soundtrack they sounded more like the Australian Raven.

--
Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge

Check out my BLOGS (web logs):