birding-aus

Red-backed Kingfisher near Sydney

To: "birding-aus " <>
Subject: Red-backed Kingfisher near Sydney
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:26:39 +1000
Just a note to let Sydney birdo's know that Louise and I found a male
Red-backed Kingfisher at 1.30pm today (Oct 13th) on the Upper Colo Road
outside the entrance of the property numbered 1055 on the south side of the
road. This location is 10.55km west of the intersection of the Putty Road
and Upper Colo Road at the Colo River bridge some 20km north of Windsor. The
bird was hawking for prey from the telephone wires to the roadside verge and
was very approachable (of course, I had left my camera at home!)

This is a very unusual sighting on the Sydney plain but, unfortunately for
Cumberland County listers, I believe it is just outside the county boundary
being a couple of kilometres on the western side of the Hawkesbury River.

Cheers

Roger McGovern