birding-aus

Re: Darwin, Kakadu and the Kimberleys trip report

Subject: Re: Darwin, Kakadu and the Kimberleys trip report
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:47:54 +0800

David Stowe asked Peter Marsh:
> Did you get any photos of the Oriental Plover?
>> I have never heard of anyone seeing this species
> even though Morcombe says large numbers arrive in nth
> Aus. Are they more common than i have thought in the north?

You should join the AWSG wader banding expedition to Anna Plains Station and 80 Mile Beach.  We have seen up to 40,000.

They are relatively easy to find on the beaches in Broome soon after they arrive in late September and October.  Once they move out on to the plains they can be harder to find, but you would normally see some out the back of the Broome Bird Observatory when going out on to Roebuck Plain to see the Yellow Chats.