birding-aus

STP waders - could 'wader experts' help?

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: STP waders - could 'wader experts' help?
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:12:40 +1000
Hi All,
On Tuesday a friend and I were visiting a grassland/Swamp remnant site just to
the north of Melbourne. Adjacent to the site is a local STP including pondages.
Conditions were atrocious with unrelenting STRONG winds and bright sunlight at
low angle. At the STP there were number of ducks, waders etc present. Some we
could ID, others not
(Heard) Masked Lapwing
Hoary-headed Grebe
low (in water, appeared) dark flighty ducks
Red Kneed Dotterel
Black Winged Stilt
Australian Shelduck
little windswept grey-brown blurry waders
Welcome Swallow

Normally we would have done better, but I stress, the conditions were awful.
Also a scope would have been handy, but I was there primarily to 'survey' the
grassland/swamp flora species, look at some recent management and photograph
invertebrates!
I have some poor shots of some of the waders. Would any of the wader
enthusiasts be prepared to look at these and offer an opinion on ID?

Wendy Moore