birding-aus

Warrandyte birds

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Warrandyte birds
From: "Karen" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:27:15 +1000
Interesting w/end for birds at my place in Warrandyte Sth, Vic.    Yesterday I
arrived home to have a pair of King Parrots land right above my head on the
carport.   They took a drink out of the gutter, then proceeded to pretty much
follow us around the place.  Seemed overly tame for wild birds.   They were
pottering around on the ground around our feet and much later the male followed
me around the chicken shed whilst I put the chook away,  landing on all the
branches just near my head.  I could quite easily approach it with my hand.
No leg bands were seen on either bird.   It is the first time I've seen a King
Parrot around here.

This morning, again in the carport and on the ground, was a seemingly stunned
Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo.  It perhaps had hit a nearby window.    I carefully
picked it up and put it in a small tree, and within a short time it flitted
away, appearing quite well.  I've  been hearing the Olive-backed Orioles
calling from the back our or property over the weekend too.

We also had a flock of YTBCs fly over at the same time as the King parrot visit
yesterday.

Cheers,
Karen
Warrandyte Sth