birding-aus

Bicentennial and Mason Parks, Homebush, Sydney, 30/9/7.

To: <>
Subject: Bicentennial and Mason Parks, Homebush, Sydney, 30/9/7.
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:02:34 +1000
Hi everyone,

Just got back from a pretty decent morning outing to Bicentennial and Mason
Parks at Homebush. Highlight was a Southern Boobook being harassed by
thornbills at Bicentennial Park, on the path towards the bird hide, about 3
metres from where the mangrove boardwalk joins that path, on the left heading
towards the hide, about 3-4 metres up. Told a group of 3 birders at the hide
about it, and on the way out, there was a group of 5 people including them
looking at it. Excellent start to the day. Absolutely nothing at the hide
though, so don't waste your time. Just stilts, gulls and ducks.

Mason Park has at least 57 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 6 or 7 Curlew Sandpipers, 1
Pacific Golden Plover and I'm pretty sure that there was 1 Pectoral Sandpiper
skulking about up the back of the mudflat in the low growth. I couldn't get a
good enough view to be 100%, but it was somewhat larger and darker than the
Sharpies (which were displaying considerable size variation themselves), longer
neck, with a darker chest that finished cleanly. I'm 95% sure it was a Pec, as
it reminded me of the one I saw last year (although that wasn't at Mason Park).
Took photos, but nothing turned out as it was too far away. Plenty of nesting
Stilts there, and the usual Teal.

Other sightings - at Lake Belvedere, there were 3 Cattle Egret in light
breeding plumage, and a pair of Little Egrets in breeding plumage. Plenty of
the other usual suspects (cormorants, coots etc) there as well. I flushed
something heavy and dark from the mangrove edges at Bennelong Pond, but
couldn't relocate the bird, so have no idea what it was.

At Riverine Park in Rockdale yesterday (29/9), there was 9 Sharpies, 1 Curlew
Sand, 15 Black-winged Stilts, 2 Black-fronted Dotterel and at least 4
Golden-headed Cisticolas calling loudly and displaying nicely.

Cheers
Troy