birding-aus

Superb Lyrebirds.

To: "birding-aus Aus" <>
Subject: Superb Lyrebirds.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:32:11 +1000
Hello Birding-aussers,

Bob Way and I spent last Friday birding the Capertee Valley west of Sydney. High winds, particulary in the latter part of the day mad birding difficult, despite this we saw 69 species, the standout bird being a male White-winged Triller just morphed into breeding plumage, an immaculate bird in snowy white, black and grey!

Because of the wind we spent much of the afternoon on a track which follows the Capertee River back into the national park east of Glen Davis, there is wetter vegitation along the river there and consequently wetter habitat birds like Wonga Pigeon, Satin Bowerbird and Superb Lyrebirds.

We saw what appeared to be a female Lyrebird (no lyrate or filamentary feathers seen) in hot pursuit of another (?) female, we watched this intermittently through breaks in the vegitation for almost 150 meters as they ran along the far bank ot the river, the last view was of one of the birds (the persued female?) still running flat chat. While this was going on there was a nearby male calling continuously.

Mid Sept. would be at the end of the breeding season and we were a little suprised to hear a lyrebird calling, the hot pursuit left us completely mystified.

Would anyone care to comment?

Bruce.

Bruce Cox on Sydney's Northern Beaches.