birding-aus

Re: Walking the dog is bad for birdlife

To: "Gregory Little" <>
Subject: Re: Walking the dog is bad for birdlife
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:52:26 +1000
You are undoubtedly right Greg - and I speak as a birder and owner of
2 dogs (who are never allowed off-lead!).
Most people care very little for the environment in general - I would
postulate that longterm the impact of unbridled consumerism, petrol
consumption (including that used looking for birds!), global warming,
land clearing etc etc  will have more effect on birds than dog
walking. Today I drove around the Western treatment Plant to look at
birds - I undoubtedly contributed to global warming and disturbed
quite a few birds as I did so. I suspect (but can't prove) that this
may have a more adverse impact on the long term future of birds than
my morning walk with the dogs in an urban park with very few birds.
Many studies have shown that dog ownership (which should include
walking them in a responsible manner) is very beneficial in terms of
reducing stress - and most people don't get enough exercise, so
dog-walking is also helps with the health of the owners - which
hopefully reduces the nation's medical costs.
But trail bike riders of course are a totally different issue......

<>