birding-aus

Rufous Owl in WA

To: <>
Subject: Rufous Owl in WA
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:12:13 +1000
I've just had a look at the photo that John referred to. It's a bit of a surreal image of an owl sitting on top of shop sign under a large awning. The brickwork on the building is consistent with what I would expect in a SW WA building.

So, while the breast pattern of the bird is similar to that of a Brown Goshawk, the bird in the picture is definitely an owl. The bird the owl is clasping shows a lot of white on what I would say is it's back. If the plumage pattern in Pizzey and Knight is correct, I would say that the owl looks like a Ninox rufa queenslandica [dark race], which is even more fascinating [even further from "home"].

As a forensic check I have used the White Pages to match the sign in the picture with the business "Art N Office, 4 Steere St Bridgetown 6255"

Regards, Laurie.