birding-aus

NSW Seawatch from Magic Pt Maroubra (Little Shearwater) - 9th September

To: <>
Subject: NSW Seawatch from Magic Pt Maroubra (Little Shearwater) - 9th September 2007
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:04:53 +1000
This afternoon (9th September 2007) I enjoyed another good sea watch from
Magic Pt Maroubra (approx. 10km south of Sydney CBD). Winds were initially
fairly moderate easterlies but eased towards the end of the afternoon.

There was much less species variety compared to 2 days ago and a noticeable
absence of Giant Petrels and Brown Skuas (though I may have one of the later
in the distance). However like 2 days ago, Shy Albatross was again the most
numerous species of Albatross and there were Shearwaters in their thousands
in a few mixed feeding flocks. I had my eyes on these feeding flocks just in
case there was anything unusual amongst them (like another White-chinned
Petrel). Most of this feeding activity was however quite further out from
shore. There was also a lot of Gannet activity this afternoon indicating
that there was plenty of food about.

The main highlight for the afternoon was a LITTLE SHEARWATER travelling past
Magic Pt in a fairly straight direction (similar to a Common Diving Petrel)
close to the waves and with little banking flight like that of
Fluttering/Hutton's Shearwaters. This is the second time I have seen a
Little Shearwater from Maroubra this year (the last being on the 27/1/07).

Also quite entertaining during the afternoon were a number of Humpback
Whales (with one breaching and another one within a km from shore) and a
relaxing Fur Seal also not too far from Magic Pt.

My list and numbers of sea birds recorded this afternoon (time period about
1400 to 1700) included:

Fairy Penguin (heard)

Black-browed Albatross (5)

Yellow-nosed Albatross (2)

Shy Albatross (11)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (1000 plus)

Hutton's Shearwater (2)

Fluttering Shearwater (3 000 plus)

LITTLE SHEARWATER (1)

Australasian Gannet (150)

Little Pied Cormorant (2)

Silver Gull (300)

Crested Tern (35)

Mammals recorded:

Humpback Whale (7)

Fur Seal (1)

David Mitford also had from Maroubra yesterday afternoon another Cape
Petrel.

Until next time

Edwin Vella

PS - I was interested to hear that on yesterday's Wollongong Pelagic trip
that a White-chinned Petrel was caught and banded, the day after David and I
saw one from Magic Pt, Maroubra (same bird or were there more!)