birding-aus

Gloucester NSW bird activity

To: "" <>
Subject: Gloucester NSW bird activity
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:09:20 +1000
Dear all

The noise of birds and frogs from my back deck has increased enormously over the last few weeks. We've had a lot of rain, the ground is saturated, the rivers running high and overflowing into the river flats. All this is wonderful for spring activity. Large flocks of Cattle Egret (200c) are taking advantage no doubt eating the worms that have been forced to come to the surface in these areas. Passerines are busy courting and the grevilleas in my garden are full of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and E.Spinebills, every now and then chased out by an aggressive Red Wattlebird. I saw a flock of 150 White-headed Pigeons in Gloucester Park two days ago, feeding on the ground under some Camphor Laurels, and Figbirds and Olive-backed Orioles are busy in my Mulberry tree, despite the fruits being only 1 to 2 cm long and hard and green - they twist the fruits off and manipulate them in their bills (maybe a softening process) before swallowing. They also try out the loquats in my neighbour's tree but these are still too hard and can't be twisted off.

The young Satin Bowerbird is still trying to repair his bower in my front garden, but as soon as a few sticks are upright, they get knocked flat again. Today, he was displaying before the female who has one eye missing. She was crouched in front of him, watching out of her good eye while he danced around flipping his wings and holding a leaf in his beak. Then he jumped on her, she fell over on her back, there was quite a scuffle and they parted without connection! I have the feeling he needs to improve his technique!. She hung around for a bit, but he seemed to have lost interest. Then the rain started again.

Driving to Foster and Taree last Tuesday, saw a lot of gums in flower and could hear Scarlet Honeyeaters calling - none around Gloucester so far but we don't seem to have any gums flowering. Spotted Pardalotes have appeared (usually only Striated from my backyard), Fantail Cuckoos call incessantly, and the White-throated Gerygones started calling from 26th August, although they usually overwinter in this area, but so far I've not heard any of the expected migrants.