birding-aus

Danish greeting - thanks - RFI Princess Parrot - Night Parrot - Point Hi

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Danish greeting - thanks - RFI Princess Parrot - Night Parrot - Point Hicks.
From: "Peter H. Them" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 07:52:56 +0200
Dear All ...

Greeting from the cloudy shower rainy Denmark.

Thanks very much all who replied ( in and off the list )
to the info request for :

#  Princess Parrot, Polytelis alexandrae

#  Night Parrot, Pezoporus occidentalis.

#  Point Hicks

I am your all very gratefull for these responses.

And I am still very interested in further information about the
possibility to see the Princess Parrot, Polytelis alexandrae, in
the wild.

I had since 1992 in Australia a few times done danish birding trips
with the Parrots as the flagship.

Wolud be great to do a new trip to Australia.

Still missing some Australian parrot species to see, as the Princess
Parrot, Polytelis alexandrae, and the Night Parrot, Pezoporus
occidentalis.

In 1999 I saw the Night Parrots 'cousin', the Ground Parrot at Barren
Grounds. At the same trip I went to two different destinations where
dead Night Parrots said to had been found. I didn't saw the Night
Parrot, but mayby it saw me ! *smile*

I will temperary signoff the list as I am takeoff on my this year
Parrot Watching explore which is soon bound to Brasil, a real
great country, which I had visited since 1980.

With less than 3 weeks we can't do all of Brazil, but we do hope
with Parrot as the Flagship to have wonderful trip and get a nice
taste of the culture and landscape, scenery and nature, fauna and
flora, birds and other wildlife, the food ... meet the local people
in Brazil  ... the nice spirit of Brasil ... And of course not to forget
that we have great fun and wonderful spirit ... and the wonderfull
feeling of sharing in our mutual interests - PARROTS.

Well known extra time would be welcome at the many interesting
places in Brasil. It is not easy for me to cherry peak from the many
different possibilities, and important is we all want to avoid stress.

I like watching all kind of birds, but I particularly enjoy parrot
watching and consequently like to travel to different countries,
where I can observe parrots in their native habitat and gain an
insight into their wild ecology.

The mission of my tailor made Parrot Watching tours are to explore
the unique birdlife of the parrot country, discovering what the birds
- particular the Parrots - do and why they do it. And on our way we
explore problems, tendecies and phonomena with significance for
the parrots and the other birds.

We experienced the parrots fantastic and diversified world - and
explored the rich and fascinating subject: Watching how the
parrots behave ... !

And in that way gain an insight into the wild parrots everyday
life as well as their habitats - and the parrots physical, social
and cognitive environment.

Such as the parrots selection of food and feeding behavior,
display and selection of activites, communication and social
arrangements, mating and caring for nests, eggs and youngs,
dangers and surviving harsh condition, etc.

And ofcourse also explore the parrot country's other bird species
as well as mammals and other wildlife, fauna and flora, scenery
and nature, landscape and culture ... meet the local people ... the
nice spirit of the country.

I like parrots very much and I do what I can in my humble way to
support the protections, being made to save the parrots from
extinction.

Some people - even birders - can not understand that I am so
interested in parrots. - They think I am mad ... ! But I am glad,
I am mad ... !

The simple true is: I adore parrots ...!

Parrots are very demonstrative and sociable birds. Some parrots have
special mixture of fear of the unknown but also a tremendous curiosity.
Every day they start their communication system as they have so much
to tell each other. - Some parrots love to bicker and quarrel. - There are
considerable difference between individuals in their temperament. - Other
are perfect gentlemen. - Some are naturally arrogant and utterly trusting
and fearless. Some are confident and extrovert willful and affectionate.
And in general they all like great fun, often they are comical and playfull.
This strong individuality is a part of the parrots charme ... ! ( Mayby
I should had married one ! )

So it is worrying that more and more parrot species may heading
toward extinction in the wild.

I think it is important to support people in the parrot countries
who struggle to make a living from low impact eco-tourism, but
also in reality do something for the environment, and in that way
also for the fauna, and the birds, incl. parrots. And by this way
nature conservation go hand-in-hand with eco-tourism.

I will revert to you when I am back from the Samba country.

Many kind wishes,

Peter