birding-aus

Tasmanian Pelagic trips: (Sea sickness) management

To: "Ian May" <>
Subject: Tasmanian Pelagic trips: (Sea sickness) management
From: "Beth Symonds" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:51:16 +1000
Hi Ian and Birding-Ausers,

Apparently people with the best terrestrial balance are more affected by
motion sickness, as shown by a rather interesting (and perhaps cruel)
experiment conducted by NASA some time ago.

They investigated which groups of athletes were more suceptible to motion
sickness when flying in the "Vomit Comet" - this is the KC135 airplane that
oscillates in and out of the upper atmosphere, thus simulating microgravity
for short periods.  It is usually used for training astronauts and
conducting experiments that require microgravitational conditions, and for
this study, they sent up different goups of athletes and recorded their
out to be elite gymnasts.

I guess I must have missed my calling for the Australian Gym Team because I
get SO sick on pelagics...

Cheers!
Beth Symonds
Brisbane