birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Werribee

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:47:05 +1000
Just returned from a very pleasant afternoon with an American visitor.
After a slow start (partly as I had just come from the opthalmologist
and had difficulty focussing!) we were soon rewarded by an Aus Bittern
in full view on 35E-9 Conservation Pond. The Borrow Pits provided the
first Native Hens I have seen there for many months (and they were
fairly "tame"), and opposite 85WC-9 we had a small group of Zebra
Finches and a pair of Blue-winged Parrots.
Austin Rd provided more Native Hens - my first at that location since
February, whilst the Spit added 3 Spotted Crakes to our list. Large
numbers of Spoonbills (both species) and increasing numbers of waders
- some in partial breeding plumage. Could not find any Cape Barren
Geese or Greenshank in any of the usual spots.