birding-aus

40 -50 bourkes parrots

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: 40 -50 bourkes parrots
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:07:57 +0930
Don't get too excited it was so dark we could hardly see them!  We went to
hamilton downs youth camp road today off the tanami rd above alice springs.  My
brother thinks he saw a grey honeyeater near the old stockyards on the right
about five kms down at teh end of the eremophilas(but bear in mind he is not an
experienced birdo).

However we did see 40- 50 bourkes parrots at kunoth bore, near hamilton downs
road turn off.  Approx 20 common bronzewings came in first and about five
minutes after the bronzewings had finised the first of the bourkes parrots
started arriving- a flock of approx 25 wings whistling and calling as they
came.  They obviously have a   meeting point out in the mulga and presumably
roost together and come in pre-dawn for another drink before dispersing for the
day- fascinating.   teh other interesting thing was the Australian Goshawk,
standing on the ground behing a low branch of an Acacia, watching proceedings.
When it was quite dark adn the bird could only just be seen, it flew low over
the water and landed on the bank of the dam.  It then after a few minutes flew
up onto a post.  It was full moon but goshawks must have some sort of night
vision-I basically couldn't see the bourkes parrots at this stage but
presumably the goshawk could or else why hang around?

by the way does slaty backed thornbill exist?  I consistently see chestnut
rumped and Inland but nothing I am happy to call a slaty backed.  It is all a
bit confusing as the inlands I see have clear streakiing on the chest and
melodious calls delineating them from chestnut rumped, but I don't see a red
eye.  To get the slaty bakced I am looking for the red eye and never seeing one!
Help!

Gary