birding-aus

RE: Cairns

To: <>
Subject: RE: Cairns
From: "McGowan, John" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:25:06 +1000
Hi
On a few days (non-birding) holday in Cairns I thought a couple of spots might
be interesting to anyone coming in the near future.
Bush Stone-curlew: at the corner of Aplin and Abbot streets in a well mown
vacant block there has been a pair of Bush Stone-curlews for the past week.

Night Heron: Opposite MacDonalds (south end of Esplanade) there is Hans Cafe;
opposite Hans Cafe on the sea side is a large Mango tree (there are 2 public
phones right under this tree) They're hard to see but I found 4 niight herons
around 9.00 am on 3 mornings.
On the Esplanade I also saw, over a couple of days, amongst the ubiquitious
Pelicans, Egrets, Silver and Gull-billed Gulls:  40+Curlew, 20+ Whimbrel,5
Great Knot, 5 Greytailed Tattlers, 1 Blacknecked Stork, 1 Beach Stone-curlew,
2 Osprey,1 Greenshank, 1 Black-fronted Dotteral.

John Mc
Melbourne
Sent from my Nokia with BlackBerry Connect