birding-aus

melbourne help

To: "'David Taylor'" <>
Subject: melbourne help
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:21:13 +1000
Hi David,

Phillip Island
==============
Cape Woolamai is pretty reliable for Hooded Plover. Park at the carpark,
walk along the beach to the roped-off area and look around. Then climb the
stairs and do the cliff walk. Depending on the time of day, you may see
Short-tailed Shearwater (mutton bird) there.

Swan Lake is a must do. We saw a pair of Magpie Geese there the last time we
were there, but it's good for waterbirds generally (obviously depending on
the time of year!)

At The Nobbies you should get Kelp Gull and Sooty Oyster-catchers, and if
you've got a scope or a good set of binoculars, you'll pick up some sea
birds offshore.

At the Penguin Parade (Summerland) you'll see Little Penguins! Though get
there early and be prepared for crowds.

Rhyll Inlet has a mangrove boardwalk. Good for waterbirds (but not as good
as Swan Lake, in my opinion).

Rug-up warmly because Phillip Island will be cold at this time of year,
especially on the Southern side (which is where most of the sites I've
listed are!)

Eastern Melbourne
=================
Braeside Park is a great spot - several different habitats including a creek
and lakes for waterbirds and a woodland area where you'll get some
(obviously) woodland birds! There's also an Australian White Ibis rookery.

Jells Park is good for common (and some not-so-common) waterbirds, there's
also a pretty good woodland/forest walk there too.

Blackburn Lake and the surrounds is a good spot - waterbirds and
woodland/forest birds.

You're pretty well certain of getting Superb Lyrebird at Grant's Picnic
Ground in Sherbrooke forest, if you're there around 4pm. There'll be plenty
of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Galahs around at the same time.

Go to www.parkweb.vic.gov.au for the Parks Victoria website - you'll find
pages on a few of these places.

There's a possibility of picking up Blue-winged Parrots in these Eastern
suburb areas, but in truth my wife and I never have. The most likely places
are Cape Otway on the Southwestern coast of Victoria and towards Wilsons
Promontory in the East (a fair way East of Phillip Island). The Western
Treatment plant at Werribee can also be good for this species. Perhaps some
other people may have a better idea.

All the best,

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria