birding-aus

Lamington and Binna Burra area RFI

Subject: Lamington and Binna Burra area RFI
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:14:09 +1000
Hi Eric,
Your info that the Coomera Circuit and Border Track are the best tracks for rainforest birds is correct but I can help by being a bit more specific. For Rufous (not Noisy) Scrub-bird walk out on the Coomera Circuit for about 4 km until you come to a patch heath with a grassy understorey and a rocky lookout. It is the only lookout on this part of the track so is unmistakable. The Scrub-birds are here but unless you are incredibly lucky, ie lottery winning type odds, you won't see it unless you play its call. One was seen there recently within a couple of minutes of the call being played on an Mp3. I have seen them once within calling which probably explains why I haven't won the lottery. They have also been seen recently on the top of Mt Hobwee. Albert's Lyrebird is more unpredictable but more common. One has been seen recently and regularly on the Possum track about 200m from the Lodge. They can be seen on any of the rainforest tracks but only by chance. Get out early before other walkers. Out near the Orchid Bower and Auracaria is a good place because hardly anyone goes there. If all else fails on your way back to Brisbane goes via Witches Falls NP on Tamborine Mt because apparently there is a reliable bird there. I saw a Noisy Pitta last week near a tree known as Big Foot (ask the BB guides) only 300m from the Lodge but again they are unpredictable. Having said that I have often seen them in the area between Big Foot and Bellbird Clearing over the years. There was a Little Shrike-thrush at Bellbird Clearing on Thursday and a Grey Goshawk. Around the Lodge is good for Paradise Riflebirds. I have made more sightings of them in the carpark than in the forest during the last 20 years. You will see the usual rainforest suspects on any of the tracks. No migrants have turned up yet. On your way from Brisbane if you don't mind taking a longish route go via Beaudesert and visit Nindooinbah Dam in the Brayford estate on the road out of town towards the Gold Coast. Brayford estate is on the right about 5 kms from town. Make sure you take the entrance that has the big entry sign. Go around the roundabout and up the hill about 100m and take an inconspicuous lane on the left. Last Saturday there were Wandering Whistling Ducks, Speckled Warblers, Chestnut-breasted Mannikins and many more spp.
Have a good time and good birding.
Regards,
Barry Davies
Gondwana Guides.