birding-aus

Cairns Esplanade

Subject: Cairns Esplanade
From: Peter Kyne <>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:38:07 +1000
Dear Birdos,

Following on from the recent thread about the Cairns Esplanade, I was there briefly this morning for a 0732 high tide, with a nice tide height (2.08m) pushing the birds close to the shore.

Migratory waders present were Grey-tailed Tattler, Red-necked Stint, Whimbrel, Bar-tailed Godwit, Eastern Curlew, Curlew Sandpiper, Common Greenshank and Great Knot, all in small numbers.

I ran into Andrew Anderson and he informed me that these were overwintering individuals. However, a group of Red-necked Stints at the mangrove end of the esplanade (26 birds separate to the larger group of 100+ birds further along) contained a couple of individuals showing some nice colour on the throat and neck. Andrew informs me that this may represent the first arrivals from the north for this coming wader season.

Also present on the flats were a pair of Beach Stone-curlew and Red-capped Plover. Varied Honeyeaters were conspicuous, and in the mangroves at the northern end of the esplanade, Mangrove Robin and Large-billed Gerygone were seen.

Late yesterday afternoon a flock of Metallic Starlings were seen at Centenary Lakes and I have been informed that these may be Cairns residents as opposed to migrants.

Cheers, Pete Kyne, Brisbane.

Peter M. Kyne

PhD Candidate
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072 QLD
Ph: (07) 3365 2720 or 3365 2944
Fax: (07) 3365 1299