birding-aus

Re: tuckfields bird cards

Subject: Re: tuckfields bird cards
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Philip and Cheryl,

I was asked the other day what first got me into birding and I said it was
because, being English, my mother drank a lot of tea when I was young!

I started collecting the bird cards found in the packets of Tuckfield's Tea and
managed to collect or swap most of the first four album sets (1-384) before we
moved from Victoria to Queensland.  Dragging the collection out of the cupboard
the other day I thoroughly enjoyed looking back through the collection that
gave me so many hours of fun when I was young and started me on a hobby that
has provided even more enjoyment over the intervening years.

I did notice that unfortunately I am missing three cards in my collection, and
was wondering if either of you (or anybody else on Birding-Aus) might have some
spare copies of these particular cards:
315 Bar-tailed Godwit,
322 Greenshank,
358 Reef Heron
Unfortunately I don't have any to swap (I must have lost them along the way)
but would be willing to make a monetary contribution if anyone can help me out.

I was most interested to read in your postings of 15/4/07 that the set was
carried on to 480 after I stopped collecting them.  I would be interested in
obtaining this last set as well if possible.   Just out of interest wasn't
there also an animals set as well?

Cheers,

Carl Billingham
Taringa, Brisbane

PS It is quite interesting looking at some of the naive illustrations that were
used - obviously some of the artists had never seen the species before!