birding-aus

Peregrines getting territorial

Subject: Peregrines getting territorial
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:59:16 +1000
On Shipley Plateau this morning I was watching a Wedge-tailed Eagle in an undulating display flight over the cliffs. Suddenly the air was filled with the alarm calls of honeyeaters, signalling something more dangerous (to birds) than this eagle, but I was too transfixed by the soaring Wedge-tail to take my binoculars off it. And I didn't have to. Within moments, a Peregrine Falcon appeared in the field of view, furiously flying at the eagle in a series of divebombs.

After this brief interaction, the Peregrine disappeared as quickly as it appeared, while the eagle leisurely cruised along the very edge of the clifftop as if nothing had happened.

I'd watched a similar interaction between another Peregrine and Wedge-tailed Eagle only one week earlier at Kings Tableland.

And when I returned home today, there was a pair of Peregrines in a display flight over Katoomba town.

All these locations are in the upper Blue Mountains, about 100km west of Sydney, NSW.

Cheers

Carol

--
Carol Probets