birding-aus

Swift Parrots

Subject: Swift Parrots
From: "steve roderick" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:02:54 +1000
Following up on my sightings of Swift Parrots in my area (Kurri Kurri, Hunter Valley), more birds/same have been seen. On monday morning I had 9 birds fly out of flowering red gum in a nearby yard, I had to duck into Kurri TAFE again on monday arvo and heard many swifts but only saw 12 birds, went back yesterday for a quick count. Only had about half an hour before they were kicking me out, counted 78, 37 in one tree. They were much more spread out than the time I counted 200+. Also rather than lerping on Grey Gums as they were exclusively 3 weeks ago this time they were lerping in Spotted Gum and Broad-leaved Ironbark and none seen in Grey Gum, more birds were heard that I didn't count so the number is surely higher. Broad-leaved Ironbark, Stringybark(eugenoides), Drooping Red Gum and Narrowleaved Ironbark were all in flower in patches but no birds were using these trees, plenty of Musk Lorys and Noisy Friars though. I have checked out other 'past haunts' in the area but I can't find any other birds. I don't believe the Swifts are entirely feeding in the Kurri TAFE grounds, but apart from the 2 sightings in the nearby Red Gum at home, I haven't had any luck.

Steve Roderick.

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here