birding-aus

Southern Atherton Tablelands, 14 raptor day, 106 total

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Southern Atherton Tablelands, 14 raptor day, 106 total
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:14:21 +1000
Report of Birds Australia, North Queensland Group Outing July 29th 2007 to southern Atherton Tablelands

What a magic day! Glorious weather, great company and the birding was fantastic.

The list below is my list of the day from when I picked up my new friends Celeste and John until I dropped them off in Yungaburra. it shows 96 species seen and another 10 heard. I must point out that it was not a vigorous day of mad twitching but a relaxed journey and stroll through some beautiful high altitude rainforest, tall wet sclerophyll forest and some eucalypt woodland. Of course there was open farming country as well.

Four members and two guests travelled in two cars making for a compact, sociable group. The list of apologies was as long as those attending.

From Yungaburra we drove via Bromfield Swamp. Here we saw both species of
cranes and a Collared Sparrowhawk. Before reaching the meeting place at Mt Hypipamee we added Crimson Rosella to an expanding list.

Grey-headed Robins and Brush-turkeys greeted us in the picnic area and a Golden Bowerbird shone overhead. A surprise here was two young Square-tailed Kites.

After a walk to the crater we moved to some high altitude forest with emergent Blue Kauri. The highlights here were Mountain Thornbill and a male Grey Goshawk which posed on an exposed branch.

Heading south we added more rainforest and eucalypt species to the list. Lunch was eaten in Ravenshoe.

At Kaban we visited a farm dam and the state forest. An adult square-tailed Kite circled us and the nearby trees for about ten minutes. White-bellied Sea-Eagles had two well developed young in the nest and the dad came in while we were not watching.

One of the most remarkable things of the day was the quality of the sightings. The birds were close and cooperative. An exception to this were the Little Lorikeets which stayed hidden except for dashing raids across our field of view and sometime only heard. Identification was made only because they were so small and there was the absence of any warm colour under the wing.

Back in Yungaburra as we were shifting items between cars a pair of Pacific Bazas was seen as they searched a tree for tucker. One was observed to eat a green tree frog. Fourteen raptors, what a great day!

Australian Brush-turkey

Black Swan

Australian Wood Duck

Cotton Pygmy-goose