birding-aus

Re: What's in a name (mostly not birds)

To: Paul Taylor <>
Subject: Re: What's in a name (mostly not birds)
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:13:10 +1000
Hello Paul,

Thanks for finding this site and passing it on to Birding-aus. I recommend people take a look at it. Its hilarious what taxonomists have done in the past.

My favourite is the Brown Noddy, Anous stolidus, which apparently means Stupid! stupid! in greek and then latin. Although according to Cayley (What Bird is That?) anous means senseless. Senseless stupid. Much better.

I can only assume that whoever named Brown (or Greater) Noddy was less than impressed with the bird! Not one of my favourite birds but I think Stupid stupid is a bit harsh!

Cheers

Mick Todd

?
Michael Todd
Wildlifing: Images of Nature: www.wildlifing.com
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Mobile: o41o 123715

Paul Taylor wrote:
While trying to Google for the longest common name for a bird, I came
across this page with a wide assortment of taxonomical curiosities:

http://home.earthlink.net/~misaak/taxonomy/taxWord.html