birding-aus

GGWS. Environmental Psychologist required.

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: GGWS. Environmental Psychologist required.
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:29:38 +1000
My understanding of the AWS (automatic weather stations) is also that
they are not affected by being in the sun or not (they're painted
white) and so only measure the temperature of the still air inside the
box, and are therefore not affected by wind either. I very much doubt
that moving the box 1km would have much affect on the temperature
readings at all, unless this somehow involved a massive change in
altitude.

EB

On 7/26/07, Peter Shute <> wrote:
 wrote on Thursday, 26 July 2007 11:22
AM:

> With all the recent TALK about our eventual doom, there could be an
> opening for an Environmental Psychologist on the list. It
> might be hard
> for some to believe but we are actually having a NICE day
> here at Price.

Did you say "a nice day" or "an ice day"?  But seriously, are you sure
it isn't just a little less nice than it used to be?

> PS. Heard (hearsay) that some instruments to measure weather at Price
> were moved about 1 km last year, to a warmer site and now the
> temperatures here are showing a warming trend. There is no advice of
> this change of location shown on the weather bureau site.
> With this in
> mind, i would be grateful if anyone can explain how in future, any
> researcher can make a scientific conclusion when comparing historic
> weather results from this site. (Past compared to current).

Ask them: http://www.bom.gov.au/other/feedback/.  I'd be interested to
hear what they have to say.

While they might not mention the move anywhere, I doubt any serious
research wouldn't look at things like that.  And I doubt it would affect
any global averages.

Peter Shute

--
Evan Beaver