birding-aus

Northern Victoria's River Red Gum Forests

To: <>
Subject: Northern Victoria's River Red Gum Forests
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:56:27 +1000
Hi all,

Martin, thank you for your comments (see below).

VEAC is conducting a number of public consultative sessions in the study
area (and in Moama) over coming weeks. The VEAC web site gives dates and
venues for these sessions (which I assume will be on a 1:1 basis).

I hope that subscribers who reside in the vicinity will support the
recommendations that affect bird conservation. These include:
* new and extended national parks, some of which cover Ramsar sites and/or
parts of existing or nominated Important Birding Areas;
* reduction in the number of wetlands available for shooting during 'Duck
Season';
* removal of cattle grazing from public reserves, and
* a reduced area available for timber harvesting.

Apart from a need for adequate environmental water, environmental water
should be used efficiently and effectively. This implies adequate finance
for appropriate engineering works. Good managment is essential and, if the
proposals are accepted, this implies more rangers will be needed.

Re Kanyapella Basin, the draft proposal is for it to be part of Lower
Goulburn National Park and that grazing not be allowed in it. Some local
birders, who have long fought to improve the habitat and status of
Kanyapella, are delighted except that they are concerned about the Bush
Stone Curlews which live in a section of the reserve. Apart from logs for
camouflage,Curlews require an all round view so that they can detect
predators approaching. Whilst cattle grazing causes environmental damage,
the grazing does help keep grasses and undergrowth down. I hope that
controlled grazing will be allowed in parts to ensure optimal habitat for
the Curlews.

I am pleased that the report argues in favour of controlled grazing on the
Patho Plain reserves and on the grasslands of Terrick Terrick National Park
to ensure optimal conditions for Plains-wanderer. VEAC recommends that
several grassland reserves on th Patho Plain be outlying sections of
Terrick Terrick National Park.

Many very good birding locations are to be protected in a series of
reserves if the draft recommendations come into force.

There is likely to be a lot of local opposition to the proposals, in
particular from those with grazing licenses, from those associated with the
timber industry and from some politicians.

Unless there is strong support for these recommendations,they will possibly
be watered down in the final recommendations that are forwarded to
parliament. So please consider obtaining a copy of the report and making a
submission expressing your views.

Keith S.
Moama